Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Letter to Fear

Dear Fear,

We've had such a long history together and, after all these years, I feel I know you well. I think it's fair to say that you've always had the best of intentions with me. I know you mean well and are only looking out for me. I really do. You've always got my back and alert me to situations and people I should run in the other direction from (...yes, I realize I'm stubborn, and yes, I should have run faster at times...but that's not the point here).

Fear, I need to step away for a while. It's not you...trust me...it's me. I just need some space to clear my head; have an opportunity to think some things through to see what I come up with...without your help.

You've taught me well, Fear, and I will take those lessons with me moving forward, but it's time I take some risks again. I used to be so open to taking risks and yet, lately, I can't recall the last time I did. I seem to be stuck in a bit of a passive place and it's not sitting well with me. I'm just not prepared to sit back and watch life pass me by.

I already know what you're going to say so please don't. This will be easier if you just let me finish. I know what I'm opening myself up to. I understand things may not work out the way I expect. I may even get hurt in the process. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't care what the outcomes are. What I care about is moving forward, past your warnings and minute-to-minute live updates, and experiencing new and exiting and maybe even life changing things. Can you understand that?

I'll still hear your voice in my head. I'll know when it's time to sit back or walk away. You don't have to worry. You've been a good friend, Fear. You've done your job well and you deserve a bit of a holiday yourself. Aren't you exhausted by this point?

Now, if you could just have a quick word with Money before you begin your vacation. I was thinking perhaps they can take your place at my side for a while and I can get to some of the good living a little sooner than later?

No comments:

Post a Comment