Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Launch + Whiskey Bar = Good Times Tonight

I don't believe in coincidence, as the four of you who follow my blog know well, even more so since making the decision to embrace "the gift." So when I saw earlier on Twitter that Ryan Knighton's book launch for C'mon Papa: Dispatches from a Dad in the Dark (http://www.ryanknighton.com/cmonpapa.html) is tonight, I perked up. I think I need to be there.

Here's my logic:

1. I just finished reading The Globe & Mail's review of RK's book this past weekend and was going to pick up a copy as a result (check it out at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/books/review-cmon-papa-dispatches-from-a-dad-in-the-dark-by-ryan-knighton/article1560445/)

2. I live in Vancouver. The book launch is in Vancouver. Could I receive a clearer message to be there? I didn't think so either.

3. I sort of collect authors as a hobby. Just in my spare time. It's not officially a full time job or anything but when you (meaning me) essentially network for a living + read voraciously, the lines can sometimes blur. Don't get me wrong, I don't take them home with me or anything (...only once did that happen and I swear it will never happen again!). In all seriousness, I thoroughly enjoy learning about how someone translates their story into a book for all the world to see...probably because I can't imagine having the courage to do so personally...so when I have the opportunity to meet an author, I will usually jump at it.

4. While I can see very well with the aid of contact lenses or my glasses, I was born with rather severe eye problems and am legally blind without corrective lenses. I appreciate my ability to see every single morning when I can just pop in my contacts. As a result, I have real empathy for those who have lost their sight. Read RK's story to learn how he started to lose his sight from age 18 on...nothing like a little more perspective to keep you (me again) humble.

5. I have a thing for dad's who are in love with their kids (not like an obsessive, fatal attraction thing, just an "oh, isn't that heartwarming?", kind of a thing, which is sort of pathetic to think that these dads seem to be the exception, not the rule, but I digress). I also have the utmost respect for talented writers who can make me laugh...or cry, for that matter. If that happens to be the same person, then I definitely want an opportunity to meet and support them.

6. The launch is taking place at Shebeen Whisk(E)y House in Gastown. I don't drink whiskey but with all the bizarre psychic activity going on around me these days, I might start tonight. At the very least, I could use a drink.

So there you have it. That's why I'm going to be there this evening. Intrigued? You should come. Visit RK's blog for more details: http://rknighton.blogspot.com/2010/04/upcoming-toronto-and-vancouver-events.html.

Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment